Friday, June 25, 2010

Working at BUIC - an overview

Students are the same everywhere. Are they? Of course there are some similarities as we are talking about Generation Y: they're craving attention in the forms of feedback and guidance after they feel comfortable enough to deal with a new teacher. "Generation Y is willing to trade high pay for fewer billable hours, flexible schedules and a better work/life balance" means in their student days that everything should be enterteining and easy and half-readymade by teacher, and they're living in accordance with their personal schedules, not with the official school timetable. In a way it's the same in Finland too, but Finnish student culture is a bit more punctual.



Added to this, the polychronic concept of time typical for Asian people, we punctual Finnish ones are in serious troubles - easily feeling offended because people do not respect your time and presence the way we are used to. Well, I have tried to change my attitude to cope with this - and pretty well succeeded so far.

Anyway, sometimes it is really frustrating to notice that there is only one or a few students present in the beginning of lecture. Then the others come and go as they wish, and sometimes even the whole group happens to be in class. I do not use such methods as locking the doors because it doesn't suit my democratic and on-demand coaching ideology.

In general, I enjoy my work here at BUIC really much - the students are lovely, and talkative. This experience is a good opportunity for me to learn several things about intercultural communication in practice!



to be continued...

5 comments:

  1. we r respect u as a human being
    n' u such a cute teacher Outi.
    but its hard for manage n' control
    many of us. u know its like we always
    do like this for long time.
    thai student traditional. lolz.

    so i hv to say sorry for that.

    and enjoy ur day at BUIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, my BUIC Student - whoever you are - I am not feeling bad, I love to be here with you, and we've been discussing in class: culture is stable and not easy to change, and I'm not even trying to change your culture but trying to adapt to it in a reasonable way.
    See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Outi

    Outi u r understanding teacher that i never ever have b4.

    so thank you to understand us.
    me and my friend will try to be a good one like you do. i really mean it.

    as we've been discuss in class already so we'll adapt and learn how to understand other too.

    you do your best Outi.

    sorry if my gramma is su*k even im study in International college. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh......

    midterm exam : culture is stable and not easy to change. i remembered.


    good night Outi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oikein hyvä! Excellent! I am SO glad as you give some comments here!
    Have a nice weekend, dear students <3

    ReplyDelete