Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Swelter of the First Working Week at BUIC

It is Saturday (again!) and fortunately I'm not jet-lagged anymore. I have managed to work in the heat of Bangkok for one working week now. A wise way of standing with everyday life is probably to hasten slowly and to play it cool. To keep cool is a mission impossible outside when the temperature is around +40 C, that's what I really experienced yesterday when I joined in the Freshmen's Ice-breaking group activity day at Siam Park City Amusement Park. My face turned to bright red, which actually goes pretty well with BUIC's grey poloshirt...

Everything was big at the park, as you can see in the pictures: even the carousel was a double-decker! Seven teams of 30 students each had several team activities in the heat but they did it really well and with newbies' enthusiasm.



My working week included conducting two courses two times per week, meeting colleagues and trying to get sense of the local grading system. Attending the opening ceremony of the Freshmen was an experience too! Before the opening ceremony I had a real pleasure to meet the President of BU, a charming lady Dr. Mathana Santiwat. I have never before walked in a cavalcade in step with colleagues up on the stage accompanied with energizing music - it was hilarious!  Another story was to get dressed up for that formal occasion: the zipper on the back of my black dress forced me to breathtaking gymnastic exercises.

Contrary to the information I got from my colleagues about dress code, times have changed: overall dress code is more informal than it used to be even two years ago, and no tights needed! Anyway, I always check from the BU colleagues what would be appropriate to dress.

Some slight problems has occurred as well in addition to getting along pretty well. My PC is totally confused with changing networks and Mac refuses to get connected to wireless after the first and so far the only successful attempt. Another annoying phenomenon is that students tend to come to classes according to their own concept of time, as Kimmo had warned me in advance, and it is to say: hopelessly late or never.

Otherwise everything is just fine! Tomorrow I'm going to explore the used-to-be riotish action area.

Let's keep connected, and, even interconnected!

Lovely Ms Jiab, more formally A. Somjai,  is the one who makes everything happen! My great support at work - dozens of warm thanks to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment