Friday, July 9, 2010

Working at BUIC - continued

There has been some alterations in the organizational culture since my colleagues have been at BUIC, obviously due to the change of generation: the present owner, son of the founder of BU is an artist himself. The practical changes can be seen for example in dress code: there is no more jacket suit & tights regulation for female (nor male) teachers. The general guideline is to dress so that it's polite ;) I am mostly wearing a light dress, can you imagine!? Black'n White though as you can see in the picture below.



There are smoking areas around the campus nowadays, but I do not smoke myself during working days. Most of the students wear school uniforms but it is up to the teacher if (s)he requires students dress up like that in class. Academic week used to start on Tuesday and end on Saturday - this summer session is the very first to be conducted in western way, starting on Monday and being off on Saturday and Sunday.



Right now I'm busy with designing the final exams, and, coaching the groups with their final presentations. The colleagues have been surprised to notice that my students pop in to my office and use the possibility for on-demand coaching. As well they ask questions in class, which also amazes some of my local colleagues. The set of 3 x 45 minutes lectures daily should have a break of 10 minutes in between, but I never have it as the kids are queuing to me with their questions. I am utterly (this expression is especially for all my IBS colleagues) pleased and content with this success.


Let's see how it goes next week as the final presentations are to come. I hope I'll have lots of reasons to be delighted with the students and their performance.

After seven weeks I'll be back in IBSness!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you have some solid stuff going on there - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is cool when you add some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeff, I'll report more as I've time :)

    ReplyDelete