Thursday, July 1, 2010

Feeling homesick? Yes...

Before this I thought that I'd be the last person to be feeling homesick. But now I am, seriously.
I've been figuring out the reasons for that, and the conclusion is



1. The Internet connection at my local home is NOT working properly, so I cannot get connected to my closest people in Finland in the evenings, and I have a feeling of being isolated from my origins. So, my beautiful Mac is nearly useless without the possibility of concrete social networking through Internet.

2. I have been commenting on one thesis of my Finnish student (in English) and it is about experiencing culture shock during exchange period in Asia - so, it's a current issue.

3. My local pillows are uncomfortable and I do not sleep well. Have to fix it soon and purchase more suitable ones.

4. I've set pretty high objectives to my success in teaching & coaching on two courses - and the culture is so different that I cannot do my best.

5. It's so humid and hot outside - and so chilly in the office.

6. I do not get a faintest idea of Thai language... Sawat and some other very common phrases are the only ones to cope with. And I've succeeded only once to pronounce and articulate my home address in Thai to a taxi driver so that he got it... depressing :(

My Thai colleagues and students, who happen to read this: I emphasize that this is totally my problem, not yours, as I should be able to accommodate to your culture instead of trying to change yours.

And, all the readers of my blog should keep in their minds that this is kind of documentation combined with experience based commenting on the issues and phenomenon occurring, and not the Truth - only my way of paying attention to something and experiencing moments my way. And, actually, this at its best can be an interactive way to process my exchange period every time when someone comments on these observations and feelings of mine.

Keep on-line, every now and then. Be my guest! Be interactive! Reciprocity is the most beautiful word of my entire life.

PS. I've received two postcards from Finland and it makes me feel a VIP :) Snail Mail rules! Look at the stamp - only Finns can have such a stamp, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. These are good observations, and a way to deal with the adjustment - to try and identify those issues that are causing the so-called "shock". Listing these 1-6 puts things in perspective, and possibly give you the ability to step back a bit and look at your situation more neutrally, without the emotional attachment. These are the kinds of practical tools that help a person adjust to any situation, OSIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Jeff. Probably I'm more capable to interact with our foreign IBSers too after this personal experience, with deeper comprehension of how they might feel about being in our culture.

    ReplyDelete