Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ko Chang... The Final Countdown!



The last week of my stay in Thailand was planned to be a perfect holiday with my son - as it was in the end but not like I had planned in advance. We both suffered from bronchitis and a horrifying cough, and my son had additionally some symptoms of diarrhea, so, the public transportation would not have been the most comfortable idea. We took a taxi, and not whatever taxi, to Trat but one of the familiar taxi drivers, and the one who was so overwhelmingly grateful for our English lessons on the tour. The cost of 3000 baht was nothing compared to the comfortability and the local knowledge of everything.



Hae had been a succesful businessman in his previous life...and his life story was a touching one, but, he had made everything himself to cope with disasters which ruined everything. And now a days he is living in peace with himself and the surrounding world after becoming a buddhist monk a few years ago, still running his own business somehow, without being bitter. There is something to learn for us, Farangs. A lot!  And, I do not recommend to become a buddhistic monk if you happen to face some failures in your life. Different story then.

Well, the Island of Elephants, Ko Chang is one of the biggest islands in Thailand - next to Kambodza. Pure nature, Nature park area, and not so touristic way of anything, yet. And, I have to add that it was purely the choice of my son.




OK, we had really good and sincere talk like mom-son on our way to Ko Chang for five hours, and when we arrived to deluxe villa on White Beach with its brilliant next-to-the-sea swimming pools....


...my adventurous son announced that it was NOT exactly what HE was looking for, and asked our chauffor to take him to those backpackers' sites. I had an utterly relaxing week all by myself. The only contact to the outer world was some New Zelandian kids to whom I told some true stories about Santa Claus who happens to live in Finland. And, after those certain story telling moments I was known as a Finn, who really knows everything about Santa Claus and his family :)
By experience, of course. And one of the most warming comments ever was from 6 years old girl: "Thank you, Madame, for this really important INFORMATION - I will appreciate it for ever!"  OMG, what did I tell her....?


I was really lucky to have six days of sun over there as it was a monsoon time and normally not too sunny. And, I think I was lucky to get this kind of pic of a tremendous thunderstorm just before all the electricity on the whole island went off. For two days. This time I was not afraid of anything but just closed my eyes and slept, tight.

I enjoyed my swimming and sleeping period, as I knew that my only son was having THE holiday of his entire life - just 12 kilometers away from me, on the backpackers' beach, reporting every now and then that he's alive. No need to worry really. And, I had my time to enjoy all by myself, muy pero muy tranquilo. I really needed it too, to recover and to be ready for my IBS challenges back home.


So, here they are, same guys as week ago. Hae came to bring us back home. Heading back to Bangkok, my home city for this summer. Bitter-sweet feelings already at that point... just a few more days to come.

1 comment: